Ideas for making funerals and memorial services more 'green'
More and more funeral homes are being asked to serve the needs of environmentally-conscious families. Most funeral directors are ready to respond with green burial options and memorial products such as the Embrace Biodegradable Urn.
Eco-friendly principles can be applied to many other aspects of funerals that your families may not have considered.
Here are some fresh ideas you may wish to share and explore with them:
An important component of the eco-friendly mindset is supporting green businesses, so be sure to share your funeral home's own eco-friendly practices with your families.
- Ask those attending the calling hours or memorial service to car pool, take public transportation, walk, or bike to the event.
- Provide baskets to recycle service folders, programs, or prayer cards.
- Expand on the memorial tree idea by giving tree saplings to close family members or even all memorial service attendees.
- Take a family & friends hike together to a favorite spot as part of memorial activities.
- Buy local -- Choose urns or caskets made in your state, use local flower growers (such as farmers market sellers), and consider local farmers / local foods for any refreshments.